We truly believe in transparency, and so we want to answer as many of your questions as we can. Here are a few of questions that we get asked most frequently.
How much does your adoption cost?
We need to raise about $20,500, plus lawyer fees.
Why is it so expensive?
Here is a sampling of what we can expect to pay:
- Agency application fee
- Pre-placement study (and update) fees (also known as a home study, which is required by and filed with the state)
- Listing fee (which lets private and public agencies and prospective birth families know we are available)
- Birth mother expenses (including hospital charges and some living expenses for the birth mother and any of her dependent children)
- Placement fee (which covers reports and documentation, support, any expenses to search for birth father, pre- and post-placement counseling for birth families, etc.)
- Lawyer fees for ourselves and for the birth family
Where are you adopting from?
We have been working with a local agency to adopt a local child through private adoption. However, this is changing for us, as detailed in this post. We will update this page as soon as we have reached a decision about how to move forward. We are completely open to both domestic and foreign adoption.
Why are you adopting?
At first, our desire for adoption began as a response to our own limitation to have biological children. We spent years in prayer, conversation and research. We spoke to our team of physicians, and we spoke to our pastors. The more we prayed and learned, the more we were impressed with a desire to “defend the fatherless.” Actually, we now firmly believe that each of us is called to orphan care in some way. (See “How can we help?” for more about what that could mean for you.) Our adoption journey is no longer just about us wanting to raise children. It is much larger than that. It is a humbling act of love, rooted in the truth about the grace we have been given. It is a testimony. It’s our story.
How can we help?
- The most important thing we can ask of you is prayer. Pray for us, for wisdom as we take each step on this very long road. Pray for our families, who have been unbelievably supportive and encouraging. Pray for the baby who will one day call us Mom and Dad. Pray for the millions of orphans and unwanted children in the world.
- Join us in our efforts to “defend the fatherless.” For you, orphan care might not mean adoption or fostering. But it might mean that you do what you can to become more aware of how many kids do not have parents, stability, friendship, mentors or homes. Pray for them. Support them. Befriend them. Encourage families who adopt or foster. Volunteer. Tell others.
- If you would like to donate to our cause, please use the links in the sidebar of the home page.
Can we talk?
Yes. We are always happy to talk about our story, to be an encouragement to others who are childless or are trying to adopt, and to answer questions. Please feel free to email us or leave us a comment.
What are your long-term goals for this fund?
Our plan is to continue to raise money to help other families who desire to adopt. We would like to eventually establish a more permanent fund to make the cost of adoption more bearable.